Hey friends! This is a totally different experiment of time. When I started making this recipe, all I knew is I wanted to make a light soup with split pea with some greens. As I searched in my refrigerator I realized I had water cress, but I had no idea how to use it. So when I searched on google, I realized that if we cook watercress too much, it will use its nutrients. So I got an idea about what I want to do. Once I got an idea I realized I didn’t have any cheese or anything sweet in the soup, but I didn’t want to make it totally savory too. So suddenly I remember this dish called “Palatalikalu” which is traditionally made in south india during festivals. They are rice dumplings cooked in sweetened milk. So finally I started the recipe and I can call it a success. It has a unique flavor and texture. List of ingredients is long, but once you make the soup it’ll be worth it!
Here is what we’ll need : (serves 2-3)
- Split peas – 1/4 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Asefotida – A pinch
- Serrano pepper – 1/2 minced
- Garlic – 1 clove – minced
- Veg. broth – 1 cup
- Chopped water cress – 1.5 cups
- Salt – to taste.
- Rice dumplings – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
For the rice dumplings :
- Rice flour – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
Here is how we’ll do it :
- Place split peas and water into pressure cooker bowl and cook it for 10-12 minutes in high pressure in such a way that split peas are totally cooked but there will be lot of split pea broth. I got nearly 2 cups of broth after I cooked the split peas.
- While the split peas are cooking, we can make the rice dumplings.
- Mix rice flour, sugar, salt and keep it aside.
- Place a small bowl on medium heat, put water and oil in it. Bring it to a boil.
- Put all the rice flour mix in and cook it for 5-10 minutes until the mix is no more sticky and let it cool.
- For making the soup, place a medium pot on medium heat and add oil.
- Once oil is hot, lets add the seasoning – mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, asefotida, serrano pepper one by one.
- Once the seasoning is fried add split pea broth and vegetable broth, add salt, bring it to a boil.
- While that is boiling, make small round dumplings out of the rice flour dough and keep it aside.
- Taste the soup once, if required add salt and if you want it to be spicy add little paprika.
- Bring the heat to low, add watercress, mix everything well and lastly add dumplings.
- Mix well and serve hot.
- The rice dumpling mixture can get sticky if we don’t cook it for required time. Even if it is sticky it is ok. Just pull the dough apart into small pieces with moist hands and put it in the soup.
- The main purpose of rice dumplings is for little sweetness and to make the soup somewhat thick. You can replace it with cheese, but I would prefer a milder cheese for this.
Have a great day guys! And always remember,
Eat Healthy! Live Happy!