Hey friends! Back home we get 2 kinds of beans. French beans and bush beans. I am not a big fan of french beans but I like bush beans. Sometimes, though the dishes are simple, they will be very delicious. This is one of such recipe. I found that the bush beans which we get here are much tender and sweeter than the ones we get back home. The organic ones are even sweeter. So, I enjoy these beans with minimal seasoning and minimal cooking. When the beans are tender, I don’t chop them, but I tear them into 1 inch pieces. The way to know if they are tender or not is to pinch a small piece of bean at the end. If it is tender it breaks right away, else there will be a long thread kind of a thing which peels along with the piece. Discard that piece and thread. Even at this stage, you can tear it instead of cutting. But in this case it is much easier to cut.
Here is what we’ll need :
- Beans – 3 cups ( made into pieces)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Red pepper flakes – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp ( any oil of your choice)
Here is how we’ll do it :
- Place a big heavy bottom pan on medium heat and put oil in it.
- Once the oil is hot, put mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, put cumin seeds, turmeric and red pepper flakes and let them fry for few seconds.
- Put the chopped beans and add salt.
- Saute everything once and put a lid to cover the pan.
- Reduce the flame and stir it once in a while.
- Let it cook for around 15-20 minutes till the beans are cooked.
- Once cooked, taste them. If required add salt or some more red pepper flakes and serve with rice or a side.
- Some people add peanuts / dried coconut in this. But I don’t like either of them. But if you wish to add, you can add quarter cup of either one of them.
Sometimes, putting some thought and effort for making boring vegetables into beautiful dishes is well worth. Because ” Health is wealth”.Enjoy guys!
Eat Healthy! Live Happy!