Hey friends! This is another recipe I promised I’ll share few days ago. This is my savory version of oatmeal. This is my husband’s favorite breakfast. He is not an oats person, but he loves this particular oats dish a lot. It is a very simple 2 minute recipe which is full of vegetables and as usual very less fat. Before I share this recipe with you, I would like to tell you a few things. First it is not obligatory for you to use all the vegetables. I try my best to use fresh vegetables but if I don’t get time I put some frozen veggies mix into this and it works just fine.
Here is what we’ll need : (serves 2) :
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Serrano pepper – Minced – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Onions – Minced – 1/2 cup
- Mixed vegetables ( frozen or fresh) – small pieces or minced – 1 cup
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – approx. 3/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Rolled Oats – 1 cup
Here is how we’ll do it :
- Place a medium shallow pan on medium low heat. And put oil into it.
- Once it is warm put mustard seeds, cumin seeds and turmeric. Let them fry for few seconds until they pop.
- Then add minced pepper and onions. Let them fry for couple of minutes until onions are translucent.
- Then add all the vegetables till they are cooked. Be mindful that frozen veggies cook faster than raw veggies.
- Now add salt, cumin powder, coriander powder and mix everything well.
- Lastly add oats mix everything well. Start sprinkling water little by little and keep mixing simultaneously.
- Keep doing that until you get the consistency you wish. Some people like it soupy so they add more water. We like it to be dry. So I add about 3/4 cup of water.
- If the size of veggies is small, they will cook faster.
If you would like to look at orange oatmeal recipe click on the next word – orange
Eat Healthy! Live Happy!