Hey everyone! How was your weekend?? Last weekend was very special for me. It was my daughter’s first birthday! So I did so much good stuff, like decorations, mini desserts etc. I am so eager to share the recipes with you all. I will be doing it pretty soon. The minute you saw the title of the blog “broccoli cheddar soup” you must have thought “broccoli 🙁 not that!” I know that if there is any veggie that’s a bit boring that’s broccoli. I know many kids don’t like to eat it….guess what? It is the same in my house as well. We don’t like it either. So I have composed an interesting recipe with this dish. I do know broccoli cheddar soup is well known dish. But I put some more twists on it and not only my husband but my 1 year old daughter also enjoyed it a lot. So guys! I would definitely say give it a try. If your kids are planning to run away from it, I have some tips to hide the broccoli in the soup moms. Please see the tips at the end of the blog for that information.
Here is what we’ll need : ( serves 2-3 persons )
- Broccoli – 2 cups ( florets and stocks)
- Sweet corn – 1/2 cup
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Arugula – 1 cup (loosely packed)
- Medium cheddar cheese – 3/4 cup ( grated)
- All purpose flour – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Vegetable broth – 2.5 cups
- Ghee – 2 tsp ( or fat of your choice)
- Salt – to taste
- Paprika – to taste
- Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
- Onions powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – a pinch
This is how we’ll do it :
- Take a medium sized pot and put it on low-medium heat.
- Add ghee into it and once it heats up add cumin seeds
- Let them fry for few seconds, then add turmeric and put all the veggies into the pan.
- Saute them for a couple of minutes.
- Add the veg. broth, garlic powder, onion powder into the vegetables and bring them to a boil by increasing the heat to medium.
- Keep stirring once in a while, and let the veggies boil until the broccoli is fork tender.
- Next add milk and let it come to a boil again.
- At this point reduce the heat so that the soup simmers and add salt and paprika. Taste the soup and adjust accordingly.
- Once that is done, add the cheddar cheese and let it melt.
- Mean while make a thin paste with all purpose flour and some water without any lumps.
- Once you are done with adjusting the taste, add the thin paste slowly into the soup stirring it simultaneously.
- Let it be on heat for a couple of minutes till the soup thickens.
- Once it thickens serve hot it with oyster crackers.
- Feel free to replace the fat (ghee) with your favorite one, like olive oil or butter.
- I have put very less cheese in this, because we like cheese, but don’t like it when the food is over loaded with cheese. So if you want, you can add more cheese into it.
- If you want, you can skip the onion powder and replace it with quarter cup of minced onions.
- If your kids are running away from broccoli, then you can blend everything up and cheat them by telling them it is sweet pea soup. I tried doing it and it tasted much like sweet pea soup rather than broccoli soup ;). At the end of day, doesn’t matter what we tell them, but kids eating healthy food is much important 😉
- If you want to make the soup gluten free, please replace the all purpose flour with thickener of your choice. All purpose flour is added only as a thickener.
So if you have any questions please feel free to ask me. Hope you like this recipe as much as I do!
Eat healthy! Live happy!