Hey friends! Today I am going to share with you the Indian style almond milk, this beverage is called Badam milk. Badam means Almonds in Hindi. The way we make this is a little different from the normal almond milk what is sold here. People make this as a cool beverage during hot days and it can be a very good beverage to serve when guests arrive home. And this is not vegan. It is quite simple and very good replacement for sodas. The best part about it is that it can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Actually in this recipe the whole almonds should be soaked and then peeled to make this recipe. But I had sliced almonds at home, hence i soaked them and blended them. The almond milk was delicious. So you can use any almonds you have, slithered, sliced or whole. And it is nice to have little speckles of almonds in the beverage.
Here is what we’ll need : ( Serves 5-6)
- Almonds – soaked 3-4 hours or overnight – 1 cup
- Saffron – 1/8 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 5 cups
Here is how we’ll do it :
- Blend soaked almonds with 1 cup of milk to form a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Place a pot on medium heat and put 2 cups of milk in it along with saffron and cardamom powder, mix everything and bring it to a boil.
- Add almond paste, mix everything and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Then add sugar, and mix well and keep it on heat until the entire sugar is dissolved.
- Taste it, if required add some more sugar. Once sugar is dissolved, keep the pan aside and let it cool.
- Once cooled, add remaining 2 cups of milk and put it in refrigerator to chill for atleast 4 hours.
- Serve cold and garnish it with almond pieces on top.
- You can use any milk you like, low fat, no falt, 2%, I used whole milk here.
I am sure once you make this, your kids will love it and never ask for soda again! Enjoy guys!
Eat Healthy! Live Happy!